From: Ken Schaefer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:13 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: So, Why Do We Do It?

From: John Hornbuckle [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, 18 August 2008 12:27 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues

I'm not so much concerned about the specific titles used as I am about
sysadmins, as a group, being paid well for their expertise and time. Call me an
administrator, call me an engineer, call me a geek-I don't care, so long as you
don't ask me to work 60 hours a week for 40-hour pay.

Well, if you want more pay, then go out and negotiate more pay. There are
places that will pay for good staff - but proving that you are actually good
can be the tricky part.

If you don't want to work 60 hours, then don't, or find a new job.

Salaries are, at the broadest extreme, determined by supply and demand. If you
want to be able to demand better conditions or higher wages, then you're going
to need to move yourself to a market niche where you
skills/knowledge/experience command a premium.

FWIW, I'm on a nice six figure package. But I have two degrees (inc a Masters
in business), a bunch of current certs (3 x MCITP, MCSE+Security, MCBDA), track
record at my company, Microsoft MVP, written a couple of books, spoken at
plenty of tech.eds/conferences etc. I do this other stuff because I like
helping people, but it also helps career-wise. People are much more likely to
approach you to work on a large, enterprise, project for $1000/day or $2000/day
*if* you have a reputation as one of the leaders in the field.

There are too many crap people in IT - people who don't really understand what
they're doing, and have no interest in doing so. They think they're going a
good job technology wise, but really they deliver poor business outcomes
(compared to what they could potentially deliver if they used technology
better). I think that's one reason why a lot of smaller companies aren't
willing to spend big dollars on IT salaries - too much risk of getting someone
rubbish. But if you go to somewhere like a large bank or technology company -
companies that depend on technology and understand how technology is vital to
keeping their business running, then you can certainly earn a lot more.

Cheers
Ken