OK, here is the answer from Product Management on this topic. It can be
done and here is how:

In order to enable VIPRE agents on a computer connected to the Internet
without VPN access to function normally and connect to VIPRE Enterprise
in a private network, the administrator will need to do the following:

1. Install the VIPRE Enterprise service on a server.

2. Set up a NAT between the servers public IP address and private
address so that all incoming connections on port 18082 are automatically
forwarded to the VIPRE server. (tcp traffic)

3. Create a policy specifically for agents connecting via the Internet

4. Port usage is configured by policy (Agent Settings tab), the default
port is 18082 for all communication between the agent and the service

5. Some firewalls may block SOAP over HTTP. You will need make sure your
firewall allows this communication type.

6. Configure your policy (Agent settings tab) to contain the public IP
address for both the Policy and Update servers (in this instance we
recommend they are the same server). Also, check the box to save the
address as the IP address.

7. Creating an agent is done by running the deployment wizard on the
policy in question and selecting the radio button for Deployment
Package, then selecting the type of installer desired. Either an MSI or
Self Extracting Executable is recommended for this process.

8. The administrator will then need to distribute this installer to
their clients by whatever method required by their company.

9. The client should install the agent while connected to the Internet.
At install time, the agent needs to communicate with the VIPRE
Enterprise service in order to obtain the full policy and initial threat
definitions

Some Considerations when configuring the policy:

1. You may not be able to ping the agents in the wild, therefore the
Agent status heartbeat every xxxx minutes interval needs to be set to a
value acceptable to the administrator. The agent will only be able to
obtain a policy change when it makes periodic hello calls back into the
service. Initially when the agents are first deployed the administrator
may want to set this to a lower value until the policy is configured to
the administrator's satisfaction. At this time, the administrator may
want to increase that interval in order to decrease the traffic between
the agent and the service.

2. Threat database updates, the agent will be able to obtain threat
database updates directly from the server, if for some reason it is
unable to connect to that server the agent can be configured to obtain
threat database updates directly from Sunbelt. Simply check the box
(Download via the Internet if local updates are unavailable) on the
Agent Settings tab of the policy.

3. Throttling the threat database updates will be very important as well
to keep from saturating the connection to the Internet with threat db
update traffic. By default, the application is set with a 100ms interval
between 67KB chunks of data sent to the agent. This delay interval can
be set anywhere from 0 all the way up to 60,000ms or 60 seconds between
chunks. Therefore, even if you have very narrow network pipe you should
still be able to satisfy the threat database update requests without
saturating your network.

Warm regards,

Stu