I'm building our VMWare environment on NetApp right now. Just about the
time I was getting into the testing and configuration of our ESX
servers, I originally planned to use iSCSI on NetApp as the backend but
stumbled across a TON of info regarding NFS. I grabbed a temp NFS key
from our provider and started provisioning some NFS volumes to mount up
on our ESX servers.

http://storagefoo.blogspot.com/2007/09/vmware-over-nfs.html
http://blog.scottlowe.org/2008/01/14/proving-vmware-over-nfs/
http://blogs.netapp.com/dave/2007/10/is-nfs-a-form-o.html

The first link above is pretty telling. It explains a good deal of the
"WINS" you'll get by using NFS over iSCSI. Performance was exemplary. I
couldn't notice any discernible difference between booting an
application server from a NFS volume or iSCSI volume.

With ASIS I was able to clone 5 x 20GB windows 2003 servers with just an
OS on them and dedup them down from 100GB of used space to about 6GB
total across all 5. On iSCSI, it started to cause me some problems with
slow boot, LOOOOONG nightly processing of ASIS, stuff like that. All 5
servers operated and behaved normally running from the ASIS-ed volume.

Gotchas:
1) iSCSI isn't "supported" with jumbo frames from VMWare unless you're
using an iscsi HBA.
2) VMWare recommended I turn off flowcontrol on my switches.
3) I was told not to put the vmkernel for iscsi and nfs on the same
vlan/nic.
4) Exchange and SQL still need block level access to the storage. One of
the vendors stated that we can mount up an iSCSI volume right to the ESX
host and carve storage off that way for Exchange..another said we have
to use RDMs to the client VMs for it. I haven't tested yet so the jury
is out there.
5) Not necessarily a gotcha but something to keep in mind when deciding:
My vendor that sold me my netapp recommends that when provisioning an
iSCSI LUN, make the total volume 220% of the total space of the LUNS it
holds. So, 100GB LUN needs 220GB of volume space. This is for
snapshotting and other overheads.

YMMV
Good Luck,
Jason