From: Oliver Marshall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:44 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: DNS records not updating when DHCP IP is assigned

I have a problem. I think. I may be going mad.

I've got a windows 2003 64 bit server. Its the sole server on the
network. It's acting as the DHCP server for the network as well as
internal DNS.

The problem is that when the DHCP hands out a new IP to a client machine
it doesn't always record it in the DNS. It seems to some times, but
similarly sometimes it doesn't seem to update any existing A records. It
does seem fine if we add a new machine however, so creating a new A
record seems to be unaffected. As we have a large number of laptop
users, and a large number of freelancers, we have a lot of moving
around, coming and going.

As a result, if we pluck a machine name out of the air at the moment,
and ping that machine, the IP that the machine name resolves to is
inevitably the wrong one. The same if we do a reverse DNS lookup against
the IP, typically it gets resolved to the wrong machine name.

Now the DHCP scope on the server *IS* set to create A records when a new
IP is dished out, as well as to delete existing A records when a lease
expires.

We haven't got this issue at other sites, in fact this is the first time
I have seen anything quite so significant.

Anyone seen this before or know what may be the issue ?

Olly