I believe that my own ignorance may be getting in the way, and perhaps
the way I have described the problem. I'll try again:

I have an ESX 3.0.2 server. I can load the VI client that comes with
it - 2.0 - and manage the VMs on that host. Each VM on that host has
its own permissions tab, so that I can delegate permissions to the
individual VM's admins, who don't have access to all of the VMs on the
box.

I further have an ESX 3.5 host, and I can load the VI client that
comes with that - 2.5.0 - and can  use it to manage both ESX hosts,
3.0.2 and 3.5, but for the VMs on the 3.5 host, there are no
permissions tabs on the individual VMs, so as far as I can tell, I
can't assign privileges to the individual VMs for their
administrators, but when I use the version 2.5 VI client to manage the
3.0.2 host the VMs *do* have the permissions tab.

I have not tried to manage the ESX 3.5 host with the 2.0 VI client.

The above leads me to believe that there is something I've
misconfigured during the setup of my 3.5 ESX host, and I don't know
what it might be.

We have licenses for ESX Standard - that is, iSCSI/SAN/NAS, 1 physical
proc, and nothing else.

How do I assign permissions to a single VM without giving permissions
to all of the VMs on 3.5?

Kurt