Why are your leases so short??

From: Oliver Marshall [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 6:50 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: DHCP fail-over

Hi chaps,

I'm looking at setting up DHCP failover on our two servers here so that if one
goes down (as it did this morning) the DHCP leases wont expire and chop off the
workstations at the legs.

On the web it seems fairly easy in 2003 so thats a good thing. However can
someone confirm something for me?

It seems to be that I need to add both machines to the DNSUpdateProxy group and
that each machine needs to be (can be) setup using the same scope details.
However, each machine needs to have excluded the other machines part of the IP
range ? That is, if serverA does .1-.50 then ServerB needs 1-50 in the
exclusion and if ServerB does 51-100 then ServerA needs 51-100 in it's
exclusion.

Is that right? My question is really whether it has to be an exclusion or
whether I can simply set the range up each box so that A has a range of 1-50
and B has a range of 51-100.

Any ideas ?

Olly