Thanks Greg.  According to what Ken said, a single W2K8 license includes two
product keys, one for the Hyper-V host and another to run as a VM guest.  So
the whole licensing sidebar (choosing to use one's W2K8 license for the host
or the guest) was a non-issue, as well as not relevant to answering the
question I posted - why would one, on a functionality level, choose a
Windows 2008 Hyper-V host over a standalone Hyper-V host.

As far as clustering support and HA features, if I'm not mistaken you're
talking about Windows 2008 Enterprise features, not in play for a 2008
Standard license.

As for a 4 physical processor limit, assuming you're talking sockets and not
cores, that's up to 16 cores, plenty for most, at least this year.

Regarding the lost 512MB of RAM for running Windows 2008 as the host, I'd
rather not waste it if there's not a good reason.  Someone might run 2 or 3
VMs on a box with only 4GB (not all of those VMs server 2008 of course), so
a loss of 512MB could be meaningful.  A little less meaningful in my case
(6GB soon to be 8GB, and just one quad-core) but I'd rather have that 512MB
allocated to the VM's rather than running a host server for no good reason.

So, what I get from all the discussion, I haven't heard any reason to prefer
Windows 2008 as the Hyper-V host server in a non-Enterprise situation.  I
thought there could be management reasons, but it seems that equivalent
management is possible without buying something.  Thanks everyone for your
input.

Carl