From: Rob Bonfiglio [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 4:55 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Server Core and Windows Server Backup

I am having trouble getting Windows Server Backup to run properly on all 3
of my 2008 Server Core installations.

Initially I had installed the Backup Exec remote agent on the machines, but
we are moving to DPM.

I installed the DPM agent on the machines, and installed the Windows Server
Backup feature, but I wasn't getting a backup of my system state.  So, I
went to the machines to try and use wbadmin to do a local system state
backup to see if I could perform one apart from DPM.

Here is the syntax I am using, and the error message that is given back to
me:

E:\>wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:e:\Backup
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it
has no enabled devices associated with it.

I get the same error if I attempt to perform the backup from the C: drive
(to the folder on the E: drive.)

I uninstalled the Symantec remote agent using MSIExec.  I uninstalled the
WindowsServerBackup role, rebooted, installed the role, rebooted, and tried
running the above command again, yet I still have the same result.

To install the feature I simply entered:

start /w ocsetup WindowsServerBackup

Looking in the event logs I see where the Block level backup engine service
successfully started. After about 5 minutes the event logs show that the BLB
service successfully stops.  If I look at the services, I see the BLB
service is set to manual.  Before I run the wbadmin command the service is
stopped.  After I run it the service starts.   I get no errors related to
the backup in the event logs beyond what the program spits back out to me
(see above.)

Has anyone had any similar problems?  Any suggests, or care to point out
anything obviously stupid that I have done so far?  ;-)

Thanks for any help!

Rob