Two questions:

What could prevent a computer startup script from continuing until a user
logs in?  I know that it starts before the user logs in, but it hangs and
eventually times out unless the user logs in.  I also know it isn't network
access, at least not obviously.  The script is able to write a file on an
Everyone-writable share before the user logs in.

What would cause the "run logon scripts synchronously" policy from not being
effective?   I have verified that the setting is in effect with RSOP.  The
desktop is shown without any apparent delay, meanwhile the script takes up
to 2 minutes to complete.  From timestamps written at start and end of the
script, I know that the logon script has not exited until long after the
desktop is displayed.

The same script is in play for both of the above questions - obviously I am
trying to complete the script before the user has control of the computer.
The script is a .cmd file that in turn cscript's a .vbs file located on a
network share.

thanks all,

Carl