From: Angus Scott-Fleming [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:08 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: HP printer reset.

On 2 Oct 2008 at 9:59, Glen Johnson  wrote:

> Anyone have a trick for resetting the admin password on an HP 8150 with a
> J6057A jetdirect
> server.
> This one has a password and no one knows what it is.
> I tried holding down the online button while powering in on for from 5 to 30
> seconds.
> It showed "cold reset" and restoring factory settings on the display but it
> still has a password so
> I can´t telnet in.
> I know to use admin, root or administrator for the user id.

Might need to remove the card and reinsert, see this HP document for the J6057A
(A.K.A. the JetDirect 615n):

------- Included Stuff Follows -------
HP Jetdirect 615n Print Server for Fast Ethernet -  HP Jetdirect and Embedded
Jetdirect Inside Print Servers - How to Determine, Reset, and Configure an IP
Address on an HP Jetdirect Print Server - bpj02738 - HP Business Support Center

  Resetting the HP Jetdirect to factory default settings

    Also known as a cold reset , a cold reset can be helpful if unable to
    Telnet to the print server due to an IP address conflict or if unable to
    see it in HP Web Jetadmin, the Install Network Printer Wizard, or one of
    the other utilities listed below.

    A cold reset will clear any previous IP address or passwords as well as
    resetting the printer configuration back to factory defaults. The factory
    defaults include a TCP/IP address of either 169.254.x.x or 192.0.0.192.
    Some print servers may show the TCP/IP address as 0.0.0.0 if a LAN cable
    is not connected, or if the print server cannot detect the network
    connection due to a bad cable, hub, or LAN link speed configuration
    problem.

    Here are some general steps that work for most printers and print servers.
    Additional cold reset steps may be found in the printer's manual or CD-ROM
    documents or on the HP Web site noted in the hyperlink above.

        * Most HP printers with internal HP Jetdirect print servers can be
    reset to factory defaults (or cold-reset) by turning the printer off and
    holding down the ONLINE or GO buttons while turning the printer back on.
    The printer's control panel display should read Cold Reset or Restoring
    Factory Settings . If the printer has no LCD display, the indicator lights
    will cycle.

        * To cold reset an LIO print server (such as the 250M or 200M), remove
    the print server from the printer, press an hold the test button while
    putting the print server back into the printer. Continue to hold the test
    button for about five seconds."

--------- Included Stuff Ends ---------
More here with links:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&tas
kId=115&prodSeriesId=71540&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=71540&objectID=bpj0273
8
or here if the above wraps unusably: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ug2t9

If all else fails, open a Support Ticket at the HP Support site for the J6057A:

HP Jetdirect 615n Print Server for Fast Ethernet -  HP Business Support Center
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTyp
eId=18972&prodSeriesId=71540&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=us&y=6&x=10
or here if the above wraps unusably: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3zr9u2

--
Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona