No, you don't need an OCS server at each site, although MS would probably like
to see that.

You can set up an edge server so that the OCS server can be accessed from
anywhere (outbound firewall rules permitting) or you can just connect to it
over a WAN. We have one front end server serving 4 different sites. While it
isn't fully deployed yet, we haven't noticed any problems, even when connecting
over the internet.

The only catch you'll find is that wherever you put your gateway is the only
place that inbound or outbound PSTN calls can be routed. If your various PBX's
are interconnected, calls can be routed there too, but it doesn't sound like
that is the case.

...Tim