Erm, I am no Microsoft employee so not coming from a defensive point of
view, but will say that there is no such thing as a secure OS, and as
long as there is a will to find exploits in software, for whatever
purpose, then the software will be exploited. Yes it's damn frustrating
to spend 72 hours cleaning up someone's nice little bit of malware, but
it's not the vendor that creates the OS that creates the malware etc.

If Linux was top of the pile in terms of OS popularity then they would
be the main target out there, but Linux is every bit as breakable, as is
any other OS.

So, if you are pitted against a collective will to find weaknesses in a
product that you make for reasons of hacking, hacktivism, fraud, theft,
one-upmanship, script kiddies, and the millions of other motivators for
people to exploit your product, are you ever going to get it bullet
proof?

In a word, yes, when you stick it in a concrete bunker 20 feet
underground with no internet connection, and no electricity, else, if
you are the manufacturer of anything to do with code you are on a losing
battle in terms of creating something that can't be broken.

The only hope any vendor has is to catch something before it causes too
much damage and hope the new replacement code is up to the job.

If any of us could do better we would be in a different job with a hole
lot more money after all...

Clayton Doige
IT Project Manager
CME Development Corporation