For a single server, ESX is free.

From: Reimer, Mark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 9:21 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Hyper V vs VMWare ESXi

Hi folks,

I know this has been discussed earlier, but it has been a few months,
and (iirc) VMWare ESXi has come out since then. Also I think/hope some
of the experts here have had a chance to try Hyper-V and/or ESXi a bit
more, and might have more comments.

I am under financial restraints, and thus the full ESX version, or other
paid products, will not be viable for me. At this point, I'm looking at
virtualizing a few web servers, using MS Server 2003. These are front
end machines that "hook" to a back end SQL servers. A couple of these
web servers get very little traffic, and some will have more. I'll look
into Enterprise and DataCenter versions because of the multiple copies
on a virtual server that are allowed.

I'm planning on using the local server for disk storage, no NAS/SAN
involved. I do have the hardware that can run the virtual software
necessary (maybe need some more RAM).

My question. Preference? Also any new links that might compare the two?
I might also look into Xen/Citrix free version, so if anybody has
comments on that, please let me know.

Thanks.

Mark