From: Evan Brastow [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 1:07 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: What could cause this VPN issue?

Hi guys,

I have a weird problem and I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting
it.

I have a user that bought a new (Vista Ultimate) laptop. I am trying to
set up a VPN connection for them and have been going back and forth to
their house for the better part of the past week trying to get it
working.

Basically, this user connects the same way I do with my laptop at home.
Through a wireless router, out to the Internet, in through our
Netscreen, and gets authenticated via our RRAS server. All IP info is
assigned via DHCP.

For me, I connect via the VPN, and I can then resolve names on the
company network and attach to server drives. For him, even though he has
all the permissions needed, he can't even resolve his computer name to
connect via RAdmin.

The connection to the VPN works fine and the status in Network
Connections on his laptop indicates that he is connected successfully to
the VPN, but I can't seem to get any DNS services, even though I have it
automatically configured to get all IP and general DNS info via DHCP.

It's just so strange... the exact same settings work for me, but not
him. Could his router be somehow blocking DNS info but allowing him to
connect to the VPN? Doesn't seem like it could. It seems like once he
establishes the tunnel, anything should be allowed within that tunnel.

Any thoughts on what to try?

Thanks,

Evan

Virginia Opera's 2008-2009 Season ... "Viva la passione!"
IL TROVATORE - THE ELIXIR OF LOVE - TOSCA - THE BARBER OF SEVILLE
Visit us online at www.vaopera.org or call 1-866-OPERA-VA (1-866-673-7282).
Subscribe or purchase tickets online now!

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the
intended recipient(s). Unless otherwise specified, persons unnamed as
recipients may not read, distribute, copy or alter this e-mail. Any views or
opinions expressed in this e-mail belong to the author and may not necessarily
represent those of Virginia Opera. Although precautions have been taken to
ensure no viruses are present, Virginia Opera cannot accept responsibility for
any loss or damage that may arise from the use of this e-mail or attachments.