Thanks for all the responses.  I thought he was full of it but nice to get some
feedback from this most valued list.

Mark

From: Steve Burkett [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 December 2008 15:40
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Memory Upgrade question

I believe he is mistaken.

HP's blurb from the DL380 G5's  Supplemental Information to Warranty Statement:

(http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00383139&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodTypeId=15351)

*       It is possible to void the warranty on an HP product. Any failure
caused by an unsupported or third-party component will not be covered by
warranty. Opening a sealed component or sealed product will void the warranty.
Examples of sealed components or sealed products include drives, monitors, and
many handheld products. Opening the case will not void the warranty on products
that are designed to be opened and upgraded, such as desktop or tower computers
or servers.

So the way I read that, Crucial memory is fine to be used in HP servers as long
as you don't ring them up trying to get a replacement for your failed
motherboard which has mysterious scorch marks encircling the memory sockets.