No, it doesn't matter who puts the files there nor who owns them--you can't
even go over the allotted amount with an administrator account-you would have
to bump up the storage amount.  Old-style volume level quotas do rely on
ownership, and with third party software you would have to look-it varies from
vendor to vendor.

Something else, in terms of wording.  We like to call our quotas a "storage
allotment" or "Allowed Space" when talking to end users.  Seems a little thing,
but people like to hear that they are allowed and given space rather than
restricted from it-goes over a lot better =)

One other caveat I would just mention is that if you are already using
File-level AV software and VSS snapshots (via MS tools), and you are NOT
already running on an x64 WS03 Server system, watch your kernel memory usage
with adding quota.  Over the many years of using first third-party and then
Microsoft's FSRM quota, we have found it is a lot to load into kernel memory
and you can easily run out of resources when serving up a lot of file shares.

If you start to have trouble, start with following this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312362

If changing the above settings is not enough over time, you will have to think
about going x64.  We had a server that last year had major kernel memory issues
due to this and after much research and monitoring, we decided to reinstall
over the summer as x64.  Exact same hardware and this year we are not having
these problems.

-Bonnie