Have you tried un-checking the option to "Use default gateway on remote
network", under the general tab of the advanced tcp/ip settings for the
VPN connection?

From: Carl Houseman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Posted At: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 2:28 PM
Posted To: Sunbelt NT
Conversation: Lose access to local domain servers when connected w/VPN
to remote / different Windows domain
Subject: Lose access to local domain servers when connected w/VPN to
remote / different Windows domain

This problem has bothered me a long time, and happens daily.  It's so
bothersome, I'll send some Dale & Thomas popcorn to the first person who
can come up with a solution or a tip that quickly (without many hours of
effort on my part) leads to a solution.  Advice such as "call Microsoft"
does not qualify for the popcorn!

Past history:  The problem was seen for Windows XP but seems to be worse
under Vista.  In fact I wrote about it in reference to XP to this list a
year or two ago without any resolution.  Certainly what I'm doing here
can't be that unique, aside from relying on Microsoft-based VPN
solutions... (kindly withhold comments on the worthiness of those
solutions).

Goes like this:

In my local office, there are two 2003 servers - member and domain
controller.  My everyday Vista SP1 is joined to that domain.  I have
drives mapped to both servers.

I use an L2TP/IPSEC VPN connection to connect to a client's network.
The client's VPN gateway is ISA 2006, joined to the client's Windows
domain, but I authenticate for the purpose of the VPN connection using a
local username on the ISA server.  We'll call the ISA server "ISAVPN" in
further discussion.

What happens:  Sooner or later I will be unable to access the drives
mapped to my local domain's servers (UNC references to those servers
also fail).   The error returned when just trying to do anything at the
CMD prompt defaulted to a mapped drive on either server is:

Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Once I disconnect from ISAVPN, at the very same CMD prompt, I again and
immediately have access to files on my local servers.

This seems to affect access to the member server a short time after
connecting to ISAVPN.  Access to files on the domain controller usually
keeps working much longer, but eventually I lose it as well.  This
behavior has guaranteed repeatability 100% of the time.

I should note that the domain controller's mapped drive is "available
offline" but Vista does not switch to offline because of this problem.

Looking in the security event log of the server, I see events 529 and
680 (source Security), in pairs, related to the login failure, with the
529 having the most information:

Logon Failure:

            Reason:            Unknown user name or bad password

            User Name:       local_username_on_ISAVPN

            Domain:            ISAVPN

            Logon Type:     3

            Logon Process: NtLmSsp

            Authentication Package:            NTLM

            Workstation Name:                    MYVISTAPC

My take on it:  At some point, SMB access has to re-authenticate and is
using the more recent credentials from the VPN connection to talk to my
local servers.  I'm guessing binding order somewhere is the problem, but
where can I find and fix this binding order?  A permanent one-time
solution would be nice, but it's OK if I have to fix it every time after
making the VPN connection.

thanks all,

Carl