Thanks all for the responses received. After "interrogating" each user to
the nth degree it turned out one of them had moved the missing content to
his own mailbox without telling the others. Idiot. Via the MS exchange
newsgroup I also found an answer to my query about using Exchange logs to
audit mailbox transactions at an item level;

Response from MS;
*"There's no item-level auditing in Exchange (for items in a user mailbox).
Journaling is an option, as are archiving tools from partners."*

Cue Homer Simpson d'oh!! Guess it's time we splash some cash on an
enterprise grade e-mail archiving solution. Death to PSTs!! Woohoo!! Mmmmm
doughnuts....