The last time I ran a ESEUTIL /G then an ESEUTIL /D, I seem to remember it
being a 3 hour process against a 16GB db (this was prior to SP2).  Anyone
care to guess how long I should expect this little gem to run?

From: Michael Ross [mailto:mr...@itwif.com]
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2008 10:18 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Exchange Puzzle

Eseutil never removes data from the store.. if you run it with a /d or /g,
it doesn't remove emails, or calendar data, or mailboxes for example

Then again, if you run it and lose data, the database was in poor shape
anyway and that needed to be done to insure you didn't have another crash
later.

You could always restore to a RSG, and exmerge any missing data out of there
to a PST and exmerge it back into the live database if need be.

Eseutil is your friend, never be afraid to use it with the proper switches.
Always do a /g first and if its consistant, do a /d to defrag it. A defrag
will never hurt the database. (to be honest, and not to insult anyone,
that's 12 years of Exchange experience coming out of my brain) Ive never,
ever, lost data doing a defrag, even back to the days of 5.5