I had brought up an issue the other day about an 2000 to XP upgrade that left a
problem.  Note: the printer worked fine when the machine was Win 2000.  The
problem is that the printer goes offline.  I  look in the status of the
printer; the "offline" is not checked, yet the screen shows the printer to be
"offline"   If a job is sent to the printer, it may take five to six minutes
and then it will print and go immediately to "offline" when it finishes.
There is communication.  Can one do something software related to put a printer
to "ready"?