From: Scott Klassen [klas9...@msn.com]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 7:36 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Server migration assistance

I'm prepping a move of a file server (2003) to a new machine (2008).  I've two
ways that I can go to accomplish this.

1)  Backup Exec to restore all of the data from a backup of the old machine to
the new machine.  The negative to this is that I'll have to make a special
backup of the data to be restored after hours, which will take several hours,
due to changes being made to the the data throught the day.
2)  Robocopy.  I'm thinking that this will be the way to go, if it can do what
I need, because I can just start the process immediately at close of business.

I need to keep folder and file timestamps, permissions, attributes, all
subfolders and files, etc.  Basically an exact copy of the partition contents.

If I were to use Robocopy, I would be firing it off from the destination
machine, because I've read that the Vista/Server08 version fixes some issues
with timestamps. What arguments would I use to achieve the above if moving from
\\oldserver\d$ to \\newserver\d$ (not certain if admin shares are a permissable
path)?

Thanks.