On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 11:13 AM, David Lum <david....@nwea.org> wrote:
> Microsoft is not aware of specific attacks against MD5, so previously
> issued certificates that were signed using MD5 are not affected and do not
> need to be revoked. This issue only affects certificates being signed using
> MD5 after the publication of the attack method.

  I thought the idea was that an attacker would forge a certificate,
with info matching an existing certificate, but using a private key of
their own, and then set their fleet of PlayStation 3's to work to come
up with an MD5 collision, so they could use the signature from a real
certificate to sign their forgery.  Or something like that.  So not
only does this affect already-issued certificates, it depends on them.
 Or am I misunderstanding?

> Most public Certificate Authority roots no longer use MD5 to sign
> certificates, but have upgraded to the more secure SHA-1 algorithm.

  But as long as browsers still accept the older certificates, they'd
still be vulnerable, right?

-- Ben