From: Troy Meyer [mailto:troy.me...@monacocoach.com]
Sent: Friday, 2 January 2009 4:23 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Hackers create rogue CA certificate using MD5 collisions

Thanks for the clarification Ken.

Your last comment said the only way to prevent the issue would be to examine
each cert presented and see if the sig is encrypted with MD5, but following up
on Tim's comment: if you removed all CAs from your Trusted Root Store that used
MD5 on their sigs (all of the CAs that would be vulnerable to this attack)
wouldn't that mean remove the risk?

Thought being: if a hacker created a fake intermediate CA, but your machine
doesn't trust the CA at the top of the chain (because you removed it from your
trusted root store), wouldn't you in turn not trust that fake intermediate (and
any of its falsely issued certificates)?

-troy