Yeah version 4 wont have a service console if the beat is anything to go by.

This will force you to know the rcli (a good thing) and vendors to re-write
their software

Greg

From: Benjamin Zachary - Lists [mailto:li...@levelfive.us]
Sent: Tuesday, 6 January 2009 2:07 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: VMWare Product Confusion

ESXi has the same feature set when licensed with VC as a full ESX box.

VMware had some interesting 'entry level' product lines not too long ago that
included I think VCB, VC and 3 esxi licenses (for vc) for just a few thousand.

ESXi lacks a console (uses busybox)for the most part that provides some
underlying features that you can do directly on the box. However, RCLI is a
perl based application toolset that provides about 90% of the functions of ESX
by calling the vmware api remotely. The RCLI is also compatible with ESX and is
recommended to use for security so this is probably the way ESX is headed.

All the players like trilead, veeam are planning to fully support esxi by using
the api engine and not the console calls (via ssh).

Veeam Monitor 3.0 supports ESXi, is free and includes email alerts when
anything goes out of whack, this tool paired with ESXi is a great resource.