Have you tried a repair from the cd??

-----Original Message-----
From: John Hornbuckle [mailto:john.hornbuc...@taylor.k12.fl.us]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 10:18 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Server OS Reinstall

I've got a server (Server 2003 R2) that conked out on me over the Christmas
holidays. I'm not quite sure what went wrong--the hardware seems to be okay.
But there was some sort of corruption in the RAID array and the OS gives a stop
0x00000024 every time it goes to boot.

A fresh OS install won't be too painful, because this server was only a
DC/DHCP/DNS server.

But my question is this... When I reinstall, should I give the server the same
name it had before? Or will that confuse Active Directory? And if I give it a
different name, how do I remove all references to the old server name from AD?

Just wondering what best practices are. Amazingly, I've never had to do this
before in my years as a sysadmin. Just lucky, I guess!

John Hornbuckle
MIS Department
Taylor County School District
318 North Clark Street