Eric Brouwer <er...@forestpost.com> wrote on 01/06/2009 11:55:14 AM:

> I'm trying to copy files from an NT server to a Windows 2003 server.
> I am running into the problem of file/path name limitations.  I am
> trying to do this from Windows Explorer, and I keep getting the file
> name is too long error.  Is there another utility I can use to
> accomplish the copy?

File Server Resource Manger (Server 2003 R2 and above) might be able to
screen out long file names:

But as noted, robocopy is a much better copy utility - in addition to
handling long file names/paths it can also resume interrupted copies, copy
only new files that have changed since the last copy and a whole host of
other things.  There are also some GUI shells for robocopy too that were
discussed on the list.

Eric Eskam
The contents of this message are mine personally and do not reflect any
position of the U.S. Government
"The human mind treats a new idea the same way the body treats a strange
protein; it rejects it."
-  P. B. Medawar