On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Michael B. Smith
<mich...@theessentialexchange.com> wrote:
> MSFT has its own technology for this "Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service" - BITS.

  Oh!  I forgot about BITS.  And doesn't BITS in Vista SP1 have the
capability of doing peer-to-peer file sharing, just like BitTorrent
does?  Microsoft could release a stand-alone BITS client to let people
without Vista download big things like this Win 7 Beta.  They could
even offer a stand-alone BITS *server* for other companies to use.
That would be downright useful.

  (Just to tie in to a previous topic in this thread: But instead of
that, Vista gives us transparent window trim.)

> More than likely, the assumption is that most folks are not going
> to want to wait for a couple of days while BITS transfers huge
> files in the background.

  BitTorrent can generally deliver a 650 MB CD image in around ten
minutes on my nuttin' special cable Internet feed.  And unlike
conventional file transfer methods, the more people downloading a
torrent at once, the *faster* it goes.

  I dunno if BITS was intended for that kind of massive share swarm,
high-speed transfer though.  BitTorrent has caused a lot of cheap
routers and network drivers to fail under the load it can generate.
Trying to use BITS that way might violate the design assumption.

-- Ben