ME2,

The problems that you are seeing could just be a result of poor programming
practices.  When a program ends normally, it should "return 0" to the
shell.  It sounds like in some of these cases it is returning something
other than 0, causing Vista/Win7 to thing that the program terminated
abnormally.

Just something I have seen working in a Unix/Linux/Shell (perl/bash) world.

HTH,

Joe Fox
Systems/Network Administrator

Mobile# (716) 846-9308