From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:02 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: To server core or not to server core...

Customer bought a new Dell PowerEdge, and it came with 2008 Server w/ Hyper-V.
The plan is to virtualize (P2V) their SBS 2003 Server onto this box. I
installed System Center Virtual Machine Manager and did a test VM of a couple
machines and it was fast (2K3 R2 Server with 9GB), easy, and everything was
easier than I had expected.

I'm ready for the final preparations for production and my question is this:
The OEM install is full Server 2008 - should I blow away this install and go to
Server Core, install Hyper-V and re-load everything from scratch, or am I not
really going to gain much benefit (I'm thinking reduction of surface
area/attach as much as anything) vs the current base 2K8 install?

David Lum // SYSTEMS ENGINEER
NORTHWEST EVALUATION ASSOCIATION
(Desk) 971.222.1025 // (Cell) 503.267.9764