From: richardmccl...@aspca.org [mailto:richardmccl...@aspca.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:21 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Cracking into MS SQL2005

Greetings!

As a part of a "system", a MS SQL-2005 server was set up.  Now it seems
the guy who installed it ran away with the password for the SA account.

Another person from that company set up another SQL admin account (said
"SA" couldn't be re-set).  However, when I try to open the Management
Studio, I get this Error 233:

"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an
error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory
Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the
pipe.)(Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)"

So, does this mean the account created is not a DBA on this system (it is
a local admin), or that only "sa" has access to the Managemen Suite, or
that something is broken and the account ought to be able to open the
management suite, or ????

(To aggrivate things, none of us here are MS-SQL folks.  Plenty of IBM
DB2, MySQL, etc, but no MS-SQL.)
Richard McClary, Systems Administrator
ASPCA Knowledge Management
1717 S Philo Rd, Ste 36, Urbana, IL  61802
217-337-9761
http://www.aspca.org