Actually, your shade example is a good one. Your closed shades would stop the random, wanna be burglar from taking a chance on breaking into your house, and finding nothing. They can't see that you have "stuff" through your windows. They just want quick cash, so they walk next door and see your neighbors wallet with cash sticking out on his table through the window. They break in his house, and take the easy, visible cash.