From: Ziots, Edward [mailto:ezi...@lifespan.org]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 2:32 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Question

You really should be also looking into lock-jack type software for your
laptops.

Here are the other issues from a hacking prospective:

1) They have an authenticated account and password to your network.
Depending on the credentials they can use this to do all kinds of havoc:
(Terminate the account immediately, and implicitly block them from
access at the VPN termination point.)

2) As stated before record the Public IP of that user whose configured
with autologon and vpn access and contact the ISP and then authorities
to possibly locate the laptop.

>From the hacking prespective I would look to use this from a free
wireless network to do the remote hacking/survilleance, along with
dumping of all credentials and data on said laptop to gain additional
vectors into said companies network, to gain influence. If I can get an
admin account I can impersonate anyone, and I can reconfigure the VPN
software and gain access, and continue influence until I get whatever I
want from the network, sell it to others for whatever I can get on the
underground market, and the target organization/company probably be none
the wiser.

I understand this is higher education, but there is a lot of assets that
an attacker can get there hands on, that is going to cause you pain.
It's a trivial exercise to dump credentials on the machine, gain
administrative access, connect back into said network and elevate. Plus
the information either personal or workwise that is still available on
the harddrive, which can be scrubbed via various utilities, can also
prove with either more avenues for fraud, identity theft, and other
malicious activites against any user of that computer for whatever
reason.

Or a more fun idea, have that PC on another busy part of the network and
plant a keylogger on it, and have the keystrokes and recordingly of all
the information processed on it sent back to the attacker, which would
be really fun, and profitable.

The real issue, that making things easy doesn't make them secure, and
allowing things like autologon and auto connection to trusted networks
and lax physical security brought about this situation in the first way.

Food for thought from the evil side of the force :)

Edward E. Ziots
Network Engineer
Lifespan Organization
Email: ezi...@lifespan.org
Phone: 401-639-3505
MCSE, MCP+I, ME, CCA, Security +, Network +