While several posts have been submitted to the list concerning the
dangers of allowing USB sticks to automatically run programs, I have the
necessity of carrying encrypted USB sticks and prefer that they start
automatically when inserted whether the host PC has Truecrypt installed
or not.

As the contents of my USB sticks are encrypted, I have cobbled together
the following routine to automatically start Truecrypt and mount the
encrypted drive with minimal fuss and simply present me with a password
prompt. (I initially tried the "Traveller Disk Setup" under the
Truecrypt tools but it wasn't flexible enough).

1. Download and install Truecrypt:

http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php

2. Create an autorun.inf file on a blank USB stick with the following
contents:

[autorun]
useautoplay=1
label=TrueCrypt Host Drive
icon=truecrypt.exe
action=Load TrueCrypt
shellexecute=truecrypt.exe /a /lP /v default.tc /q
shell\start=Start TrueCrypt and Enter Password
shell\start\command=truecrypt.exe /a /lP /v default.tc /q

Notes:

"label" can be whatever sounds best for you.

The /lP switch in the "shell" lines mounts the encrypted drive as P:
Choose whatever drive letter you want or leave the switch out to use the
next available drive letter.

The filename "default.tc" is the name I give to my encrypted drives. Use
whatever name you wish.

3. Copy the following files from the Truecrypt installation directory to
the USB stick:

truecrypt.exe
truecrypt format.exe
truecrypt.sys
truecrypt-x64.sys
license.txt (if you are going to distribute the sticks)

4. Use truecrypt format.exe to prepare an encrypted file container of
your size choice on the USB stick. Make sure the name you use for the
file contianer is the same as in the autorun.inf file.

5. Replug the USB stick and it should prompt you to enter the encrypted
drive password whereafter you should be in business. If Autoplay has
been disabled, you have one extra step; right-clicking on the USB drive
in My Computer will list "Start TrueCrypt and Enter Password".

Good luck!

--
Peter van Houten