I would imagine the benefits/trade-offs would vary from state to state.
You're probably be better off checking with your lawer / accountant to
understand the implications of your choices.

That said, couple of years ago I was signing on for a year long contract and
inquired about moving away from SP.  A friend of mine who's a lawer looked
into it and for GA saw no reason for me to move away from SP, neither from
tax/financial perspective, nor from liability perspective.  But I would also
imagine not all contract work is created equal, and professional advice may
be quite valuable.