Not sure if the product ever took off but a few years ago i worked
with a xerox product called print exchange.  It was basicly a print
server that allowed you to setup all kinds of rules for printing.  An
example would be if you tried to send a 500 page doc to a little ink
jet it would reroute the job to another printer and let you know that
it change your printer based on the policy and where your job went.