I worked for Mitsubishi for almost 10 years and, as a woman, it was quite a
trip.  I will say, however, that it was one of the best jobs I ever had.
Yes, they do work hard and play hard and if you can't run with the big dogs,
you'd better stay on the porch.  But, if you prove to them that you are
willing to do a top notch job, you will gain awesome respect, which is a lot
in their culture.  The biggest thing to remember is to never criticize
another person and do your job to the best of your ability (a good tenet for
any job, anywho).  It will often seem that the job is thankless - they are
not into accolades, but it will pay off in the end.  My husband got
transferred to the Northwest.  I was stuck in Orlando for almost a year,
trying to sell our house so I could leave.  We were paying two mortgages and
almost at the end of our rope.  Somehow, management found out, laid me off
with a huge severance package (that paid all the bills) and then hired me
back the next day as a contract employee at much more than I had been making
until I left.  I will be forever grateful and would go to work for a
Japanese company anytime.  There is no BS, no backstabbing and if you ever
have difficulty in the job, speak up and they will offer all the help in the
world.  If more American companies were run like that, we would not be in
half the mess we are.

Hope this helps,

Pat Marshall

Systems Administrator