I researched this about four months ago. My father saw their TV ads and was
wanting to get one. Talked him out of it and had him sign up with Skype,
instead.

This is what it does; When you get the device, it plugs into one of your
available USB ports. The Installation Software loads the drivers and
application to use the "dongle". You plug a regular phone, be it an old
handset or a wireless, it doesn't matter, into the other end of the dongle
and you will get a dailtone. During the installation process the software
that comes with the device actually goes out to the Magic Jack's main site
and downloads the adminstration software onto your desktop. Its at this
point that you have to sign up for their service.

While I was looking at the EULA I found out that you don't need the dongle
to use their service. You can use a regular headset/mike if you wanted to.
All that is needed is a credit card for billing purposes. Well, if that is
the case, then why not just use Skype, or some other similar service. At
least with Skype you don't need any additional hardware to make it work.

A lot of reviews that I have seen have been very negative on this product.
But, on that same note, Radio Shack is now selling this item. If it were up
to me, I would just have setup Skype on their desktop/laptops and have them
use that. There are third party devices that give you a phone handset that
plugs into the USB port, some wireless using Bluetooth, that works with
Skype.

My $.02

<<image001.jpg>>

<<image002.jpg>>