Get "Treesize" from "Jam Software".  The eval will let you try it out
for a while without having to buy it ($50).  It will let you set date
ranges and then will show you how many MB fall into each range.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

From: David Lum [mailto:david....@nwea.org]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:27 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: A quarter million files...

I have a task where I need to find out how much space files from a
certain date range are using - example, how much disk space are all
files last modified sometime in 2006 are using.

On the server in question, using Explorer's search features it returns
271,000 objects (which is probably accurate, the search takes several
hours to complete), but when I right click and choose "Properties" which
should normally bring up disk space uses, it returns nothing.

I'm guessing I'm running into an Explorer limit? Is there a command-line
tool that will give me files and total size of a given date range? If I
could do a DIR /S /O:D <specify date range> > D:\FileList.txt that would
be awesome.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

David Lum // SYSTEMS ENGINEER
NORTHWEST EVALUATION ASSOCIATION
(Desk) 971.222.1025 // (Cell) 503.267.9764