Okay. this has stumped me for two day.

XP machine.  Windows does not recognize the keyboard (PS2 or USB).

I can use the keyboard to access BIOS, but not safe mode or windows. The
keyboard does work in other workstations without any issues.  Both USB and
PS/2 mice work.  I can log on via remote desktop and device manager lists
the keyboard. I have uninstalled the driver and restart the machine, but
still no dice. When I log back on via remote desktop, I can see that windows
installed the driver again.

Event viewer is useless.

I copied over, from another XP machine, the i8042prt.sys and kbdclass.sys..
still nothing

Any other ideas?

Jacob