From: James Rankin [mailto:kz2...@googlemail.com]
Sent: 26 March 2009 15:07
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Internet cafe setup

Good Afternoon everyone

I have a requirement to set up an Internet cafe of sorts at one of our remote
sites. My initial idea, in the interests of security and ease of management,
was to use something like Ubuntu PCs running VMWare Player to launch some sort
of browser appliance in read-only mode.

My boss's idea was to convert the existing Windows PCs out there using some
free thin client software into what amounted to dumb terminals, and then
deliver a Citrix published desktop to the users from a single server out on the
site, with appropriate desktop lockdowns in place.

Can I ask what other users with similar requirements are using to get around
the peculiar challenges presented by internet cafe-style setups? The only thing
we have agreed on here is to use OpenDNS for the web filtering, as deploying
our WebSense installation out there would generate too much work (we are keen
for this to be as hands-off as possible). As the security guy here, though,
keeping the risk to a minimum is also a high priority.

TIA,

JRR