All, I am having some serious issues with DNS and scavenging in my domain.  The
problem is that server A records are being scavenged.

Here is the background.

About 400 windows machined, 300 Linux machines, and 80 Macs.  All the windows
boxes are in the domain, 4 domain controllers provide DNS for the Windows and
Mac clients.  DHCP is done by a linux server.

Currently the DHCP lease is 4 hours.  I have not been successful so far in
getting this extended.

I set the Scavenging period on one server on DC1 to 5 hours.  On my zone I set
the No-refresh to 3 hours and the refresh to 4 hours.

I checked the server after 4 hours and of course all my server A records were
deleted.  I manually recreated the records and Ensured that the "delete this
record when it becomes stale" is NOT checked.  I checked the DNS server again 4
hours later, another scavenging cycle had run, and not only had half the server
records been deleted, but a couple now had the box checked to  "delete this
record when it becomes stale"

Typing this out I realize that I probably should have set the Scavenging Period
to 7 hours not 4 (4+3=7).

I need to get this working properly and not have my server records scavenged.
I can discuss extending the DHCP lease time, but I need concrete reasons as to
why, instead of "its breaking my dns"

Why does the box keep getting checked on the servers A record to be deleted
when its stale.

Sorry for all the Deep thoughts on a Monday.  Thanks for the advice on this
issue.

Jeremy