My understanding is that you can write a java app and "tell it" to use
version 1.4.  If that's true, unless you uninstall the old version, it
doesn't really help to install the newer version.  Versions since about
6.12 will be automatically uninstalled when you install a newer version
but you still need to get rid of the older stuff.  Is there an automated
way of getting rid of the old stuff or does it have to be done manually?
I've been doing it manually.

Curt