I want to know why you have too many uncommitted transaction logs and why
aren't you monitoring for this before it happens.

From: Jeremy Anderson [jer...@mapiadmin.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:37 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: OT - Exchange Cluster  question

All,

I know this is a bit off topic; however this is the discussion list I
participate in the most and I was hoping for a quick answer.  If no one knows,
of course I will take it to an Exchange list.

I have Server 2k3 Ent, Exchange 2k3 Ent, active passive cluster.  I got an
error Error: 0xfffffd9a which basically says that there are too many
uncommitted transaction log files and it dismounts the store.

I have 4 Storage Groups with 4 stores each.  When this happened previously all
the store in the storage group were dismounted (to commit the logs) and the
other 3 storage groups were fine.

Today it happened again and this time the cluster failed over - taking all the
storage groups offline and forcing everything to replay the logs.  I have dug
through all the even log errors and cant figure out why the cluster failed over.

I am left w/ 2 options.  The first time the cluster was supposed to fail over
and didn't, or, this time something really bad happened.

The Event log says

 " Cluster resource 'Exchange Information Store Instance (EXCHANGE)' in
Resource Group 'Exchange Virtual Server' failed."

" The Cluster Service failed to bring the Resource Group "Exchange Virtual
Server" completely online or offline."

The Cluster log shows that the "isAlive check for the resource failed" and the
"RPC call to start the service failed"

So, basically what happened is that there were too many uncommitted transaction
logs, the stores in the storage group dismounted (by design) and then store.exe
dropped offline, causing the Cluster to failover.

What I cant figure out is why store.exe went down, instead of just the one
Storage Group.  Any insights on this?

Again - sorry for the off topic post, and I will post this in an exchange group
also, but I was hoping someone here might know a bit about this.

TIA
Jeremy