On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Juned Shaikh <jsha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> but I am wondering that why would you need to have PAE in win2k8? becuase
> you have 32 bit installation or you need this on Win2k8-64 Bit for 32 bit
> enabled
> applications?

  PAE will let some versions of 32-bit Windows use more than 4 GiB of
RAM.  Individual processes are still limited to 2 GiB of userland
address space (or 3 GiB with 4GT), but the system as a whole can use
that much RAM.  You could, for example, have several processes, each
using 2 GiB.

  PAE is also needed to get the NX bit (No Execute, i.e., what
Microsoft calls Data Execution Protection).  So even 32-bit XP and
Vista enable PAE for DEP.  They just ignore memory above 4 GiB.  Same
for 2003 Server Standard.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Michael B. Smith
<mich...@owa.smithcons.com> wrote:
> if you are running 32-bit or if you are running 32-bit emulation in 64-bit
> (i.e.,
> running 32bit SQL server on 64bit windows).

  I don't think the concept of PAE exists in long mode.  The processor
and OS are already using a 64-bit word for both physical and virtual
addresses, so what's the point?  There are still only 36 address lines
coming out of the processor, of course, but that's an implementation
detail that's not visible to the software.

  Meanwhile, PAE never meant anything to 32-bit userland software.
Win32 processes were still limited to a 32-bit virtual address space.
Under Win64, they'll be given a 2 GiB userland by default, or 4 GiB if
they're LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE.  If they want to use AWE (Address
Windowing Extensions, Microsoft's name for bank switching), they can,
but AWE is an OS API feature, and doesn't affect the virtual address
space of the process.

-- Ben