I have seen systems that have raid capability on the motherboard, but
they are disabled until you go  into the CMOS and enable them.  Once
enabled, there will be a prompt during boot up to hit some key
combination to get into the RAID setup screen.

From: Sean Martin [mailto:seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:17 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: OT: Dell Studio 540 - Hardware Issues

That's where my initial confusion stems from. I fully expected to see
some type of RAID Configuration utility option during boot, but I don't
recall any such option. I believe the fast boot option is enabled in the
BIOS. Is it possible this would prevent the RAID Config option from
being displayed during boot, or does that simply skip memory tests,
etc.? This is a brand new machine I haven't had a chance to even dig
into (one of the those Best Buy deals that were too good to pass up).
Unfortunately, my Fiance did have the opportunity to transfer all of our
photos, data, etc. prior to this debacle.

- Sean

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Ben Scott <mailvor...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Jon Harris <jk.har...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Are you sure they put the correct processor in place?
> Could it be a x32 bit processor now instead of the x64?

 Can you even *get* a processor without x86-64 support anymore?

 Anyway, that shouldn't cause "Missing Operating System".  Lack of
x86-64 for Win64 would cause the OS to puke early on during boot, but
"Missing Operating System" is generated by the BIOS when it can't find
a boot signature on any available media.

-- Ben