From: Sherry Abercrombie [mailto:saber...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 10:33 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Backup Software

What do the logs for these backup jobs tell you the reason for the
failure is?

I use BackupExec 11D, I've never have a failed backup on my DC's (Don't
see a Do_Not_Delete directory either on my DC's).  My Exchange backups
are always successful.    As a disclaimer, these jobs have to be setup
properly, and the remote agent has to be in place for that specific
server.

With BackupExec, you will have a failed job status even if 1 file cannot
be accessed in the entire job (something that I do hate about BE, but
can deal with it.).  You have to check the log file and see what it is
failing on.

Have you rebuilt your DC recently and have forgotten to push the remote
agent to it?  Do you have the Exchange remote agent (assuming you're
using Exchange for email) and it's pushed to the Exchange server?
Just asking because I've done that, forgotten to push the remote
agent.......;).

We looked into several other backup software solutions about 18 months
ago, including CommVault.  What we determined was that the extremely
high cost of switching to another software did not warrant the change
when what we had currently was working and the improvements weren't
enough to justify the change.

Will I look into changing software again?  Absolutely, and if the
improvements are good enough and I can justify it well enough, I'll
switch to something else.  I'm not saying BE is perfect, but I've never
been so frustrated with it that I was willing to change no matter what
the cost would be.  There's a reason for these failures, and the log
file should give you an idea of where to start looking.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Brumbaugh, Luke