This is what I did last May when I replaced (5) 72 GB drives with (5)
300 GB drives on HP DL hardware:

1) BACKUP Data
2) Configure array controller for high priority on REBUILD
3) Shut down server
4) pull #1 72 GB drive
5) insert #1 300GB
6) let server auto-configure new drive
7) when finished, reboot server (new 300GB drive will be using 72GB to
match array) - should finish in 1 hour
8) test server applications

Repeat above steps for each of the 72GB drives until all have been
replaced w/ 300GB drives.

1) BACKUP data.
2) configure array controller for high priority on EXTENDING the array
2) Extend array to use all 300GB of space on Hard Drives
3) Extend logical drive to use all available space