So some where in Canada a system that is using the barracuda software is blocking you. It could be that barracuda as evaluated the emails you are sending and decided it didn't like them for whatever reason. If that is the case then following the link they provided and appealing the listing should get you delisted. If it is just this 1 barracuda device then it might be the administrator at that site that has blocked, and appealing via the link they provide will probably do you no good. I know if I have to personally block a site it is generally for good reason, and I am a very hard person to convience to unblock one that I have manually blocked.

I don't get what you mean by "Somehow, it seems to be tracing beyond our SMTP host, finding our firewall, and then refusing the connection:" The barracuda device is not tracing to or past anything on your network and then block the connection. All the barracuda device is doing is accepting your inital connection, then most likely doing a Reverse DNS lookup of your IP address and plugging in the fg400-1.calgaryzoo.ab.ca for the hostname, and since the barracuda database has 12.15.29.130 listed as an address not to allow message through for it kicks out the error 554 message. They are not doing anything funny to try and get by smtp host or firewall.

-Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: <richardmccl...@aspca.org>
To: "NT System Admin Issues" <ntsysadmin@lyris.sunbelt-software.com>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 10:27 AM
Subject: Barracuda stuff?

Greetings!

Our Notes server is on a private network behind a firewall.  A year or two
ago, we found that spam filters were not able to get to our actual SMTP
server, so most mail (including hundreds of medical case records) was
bouncing.  We contracted with Postini for hosted SMTP services...

Somewhere in Canada, there is a Barracuda system blocking us.  Somehow, it
seems to be tracing beyond our SMTP host, finding our firewall, and then
refusing the connection:

"Error transferring to OUTBOUNDS5.GA.OBSMTP.COM; SMTP Protocol Returned a
Permanent Error 554 Service unavailable; Client host
[fg400-1.calgaryzoo.ab.ca] blocked using Barracuda Reputation;
http://bbl.barracudacentral.com/q.cgi?ip=12.15.29.130";

This error is unique to this institution, and it is "repeatable".

I have followed the link and then made my appeal through that web site,
but...???
--
Richard D. McClary
Systems Administrator, Information Technology Group

ASPCA®
1717 S. Philo Rd, Ste 36
Urbana, IL  61802

richardmccl...@aspca.org

P: 217-337-9761
C: 217-417-1182
F: 217-337-9761
www.aspca.org

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is
from The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA
®) and is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may
contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying or use of the contents of this
e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me by reply email
and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any
printout thereof.

~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/> ~