From: N Parr [mailto:npar...@mortonwelding.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 8:54 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: For those of you Running SQL on VM Guests with and iSCSI SAN

I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the Data and Log file
locations.  At least the best for me.  Specifically I have an EQ ISCSI
SAN but I think my question is pretty universal when it comes to the
storage backend.  I've asked EQ if they have any white papers that
address getting the best performance out of virtualized SQL servers and
they said no.  I haven't found anything on the VMWare side either.
I see two basic options.

1) Map raw luns to the VM Guest.  Obviously this would be the way it's
done with a physical server.  Drawback is you only get a single path to
the data because the VM isn't aware of where the Disk you just mapped is
physically located.

2) Use the iSCSI initiator inside the VM Guest to map directly to the
iSCSI luns.  This would allow you to assign two NICS to the Guest for
the SAN and use Multi-pathing.  This theoretically gives you better
performance assuming you have multiple physical NICS between the VM Host
and SAN which I do.

Can anyone give me some real world insight, is there another way?
Either way I can utilize the snap-shotting features of the SAN to
cleanly back up my Data.  And I've already found the issue and have the
fix for getting the iSCSI initiator to load before everything else on a
VM so the drives are presented in time.  Amazingly Vmware had no clue
how to fix that, EQ did.
Thanks
Niles