From: Joe Heaton [mailto:jhea...@etp.ca.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:06 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Wierd connectivity issue

We have an app, that has a couple of drive mappings involved with it to
make it work.  I have a user that came to me today, saying that the app
was working this morning, but stopped responding about 20 minutes ago.  He
said the same thing happened yesterday, at about the same time.
Yesterday, he let it sit for about 15 minutes or so, and the app started
responding again.

I went to his desk, tried to open the mappings through My Computer and got
an error message:  blah, blah blah.  The device name is already in use.

I opened a DOS prompt, tried pinging the server, and get a Host cannot be
found error.  Pinging the domain controller works.  He's able to access
e-mail fine, the file server fine, able to print, etc.  Just the
connection to this specific server is gone.  Someone sitting about 15 feet
away is able to access the application just fine.

Instinctively, I want to say something is wrong with DNS, just because of
the old adage, everything is related to DNS.  But I just don't understand
this.

Any advice/tips/suggestions are very much welcome.

Thanks,

Joe Heaton

AISA

Employment Training Panel

1100 J Street, 4th Floor

Sacramento, CA  95814

(916) 327-5276

jhea...@etp.ca.gov

This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the
message and any attachments.  Thank you.